Tips for Motorcycle Trips in Switzerland

What do you have to take into consideration when traveling to Switzerland? Which documents do you have to take with you? Louis provides you with answers to the most important questions. No liability is accepted for errors – Louis does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of information.

Die Flagge von SchweizSwitzerlandCH

The driving license & co

Documents you must have with you

  • Driving licence and vehicle registration certificate
  • ID card or passport
  • International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card)

+ Recommended Products: Document Bag

The first aid kit

First-aid kit / Hi-vis vest

It is not mandatory to carry a first-aid kit or high-visibility vest. However, we recommend you always carry both.

The helmet

Mandatory helmet

It is mandatory to wear a helmet! Only helmets which conform to the ECE 22 standard are approved.

+ Recommended Products: Visor and Helmet Cleaner, Proofer

The headlights


Motorcycles must have their headlight on even during the daytime.

+ Recommended Products: Motorcycle Lightbulbs

The speedometer

Speed limits

  • Within built-up areas: 50 km/h
  • Outside built-up areas: 80 km/h
  • Dual carriageways (expressways): 100 km/h
  • Motorways (freeways): 120 km/h

The motorway tolls

Road tolls

A vignette (toll-sticker) is required for most motorways (freeways) and dual carriageways (expressways). A toll is also payable for using the Great St.Bernhard tunnel and the Munt la Schera tunnel.

+ Recommended Products: Vignette Holder

The emergency call

Emergency numbers


The alcohol

Legal alcohol limit

0.05% (50 mg/100 ml blood)

The information

Further information

Tourism in Switzerland:

Motorcycle trips across the Switzerland borders

Here you will find country tips for motorcycle trips in Switzerland neighbouring countries.

© Maksim Šmeljov –